The History of The Standard

A Historic Building

Originally the building, which today constitutes The Standard, was used as a custom house and was called Gammel Toldkammer. It was built in 1937 by the Danish architect and royal building inspector Kristoffer Varming. Due to its elongated shape, it is also called the "penal house".

In 1965, the building was taken over by Scandlines where they cleared goods at one end and sold tickets for ships and ferries to and from Sweden at the other. There was a myriad of people here at Havnegade when both small ships, larger ferries with space for cars and hydro-ferries were added. The last ship going from from Havnegade was in 2002 since the opening of the Øresund Bridge in 2000, meant, that people now preferred driving across the strait.

After a major renovation, the first restaurants in the building opened in 2005. In 2013, Claus Meyer and a group of investors took over the entire building. They then opened Almanac, STUD!O, the Indian restaurant Verandah and a jazz club, after which the latter closed.

At the end of 2017, the current owner group took over Claus's house operation, and after a respectful refurbishment in 2018, The Standard Private Dining was completed in the old Jazz club, and a few months later the doors were opened to Restaurant Mission on the old Verandah premises.

Along with Almanak and STUD!O, the house The Standard in 2019 is once again filled up and full of life.

Welcome to The Standard

The Standard is now LOCA Restaurants

Our restaurants have moved from the old Customs Building in Havnegade, and the name The Standard has become LOCA Restaurants.